Sunday, July 25, 2010

For those hoping to read yet another riveting adventure from your intrepid Baghdad reporter, tune in another day. Today is all about Susan Frances Larrea Miller, my bride of 30 years, and my deep and abiding love for this woman.

On July 26th, 30 years ago, we were wed at the Christ Episcopal Church on First Street in Corning, NY. That wondrous ceremony marked the culmination of my six years of hot pursuit of this beautiful, smart, funny, caring, and very much mischievous young woman. It was the luckiest day of my life and I continue to benefit greatly from it.

Sue has clearly been in it for better or for worse, and it has been my good fortune that it just seems to keep getting better and better. We had some lean years, but she was always hopeful, always supportive, and always a joy to be around regardless.

We eventually found ourselves headed down the path we remain on today, that of a military family. Twenty eight years of an interesting Army career, a career that can try the resolve of the strongest bonds. It figures prominently in our lurching around to 17 different addresses in 11 different cities and 8 different states.

As I approach the end of that career, I can never say often enough how absolutely vital her love, coaching, coaxing, cajoling, and, eventually, accepting she has been. I will repeat what I told the assembled audience at my promotion ceremony to colonel: any man that stands in the position I was on that day will call his wife one of just two things: he’ll call her the greatest human being to ever walk the earth or he’ll call her his ex-. I’m solidly in the camp of the former.

Thank you, Sue, for being there for me every day, every year. For giving birth to these two smart, attractive, and wonderful children of ours. For being my best friend and constant companion for 70% of my existence!

This being my first-ever deployment, I’m pretty sure we have reached a point in time that marks the longest we have ever been physically separated since being married. And I miss her something awful. Life without her near is too slow, too empty, too dull.

But this too shall pass and I eagerly await the day when she’ll be back in my arms and the good life resumes!

Happy Anniversary, sweetheart. I love you more than words can express.

Your hubby.

No comments:

Post a Comment